How does Chiropractic Care help with Headache Relief?
We have all experienced headaches at some point whether due to stress or tension. Headaches occur differently; sometimes they are mild and dull, while others can be severe. The type of headaches is determined by the location and the cause of the headache.
- Tension headaches are the most common type and they appear almost anywhere in the scalp, neck, or head. Tension headaches are caused by stress and strain. Pain relievers respond effectively, but for chronic tension, our chiropractic services will help with long term relief.
- Migraines are throbbing headaches that cause pain nausea and sensitivity to light and the environment. Migraines can occur for a few hours to a few days.
- Cervicogenic headaches result from neck pain and injury. These types of headaches affect one part of the head starting from the back, but at times can be accompanied by neck and shoulder pain.
When you have headaches, the first course of action is to take pain relievers. But, have you ever considered chiropractic care? According to research, chiropractic care is effective for headaches without treatment.
At ShilohChiro we provide chiropractic care for different types of headaches.
How Can Chiropractor Help?
The chiropractor will choose a treatment based on the type of headache. The treatments offer various benefits:
- It relieves tension on your spine, neck, and back. Using the spinal manipulation, the chiropractor will manually adjust your neck and back muscles thereby reliving cervicogenic headaches. The treatment combines different techniques such as joint movement, massage, exercise, and physical therapy to reduce inflammation and improve nerve function.
- The treatment can also improve your posture and neck stability by working on the deep flexor muscle. These muscles help to maintain good posture and neck stability, and when they are impaired, they can cause debilitating neck pain and headaches such as cervicogenic. The chiropractor will give you a variety of deep flexor exercises to relieve the tension.
- It treats the underlying causes of muscular and nervous pain. We will use a neuromuscular therapy massage that involves soft tissue manipulation to improve circulation, trigger points, nerve compression, and posture issue. Although neuromuscular massage resembles deep tissue massage, they are different. Deep tissue massage addresses muscle aches and pains. Neuromuscular massage is medical and uses highly-specialized techniques to treat muscle adhesions.
Other services we offer include joint and spine mobilization, relaxation and physiotherapy.
What to Expect?
On your initial appointment, the chiropractor will assess and evaluate your health. They will discuss the goal of the treatment and the expected outcome. Before beginning the treatment, you will have to sign a consent form.
Next, we will choose any of the above-mentioned techniques to adjust the alignment of the spine to improve function and reduce stress. The frequency of the treatment will depend on the severity of the headaches, but on average you may need one or two sessions of the week.
How to Prevent Headaches?
We believe in a multifaceted treatment approach to relieve headaches. We strive to understand the root cause of the problem to provide you with proper treatment. We will examine your diet and lifestyle to detect any factors that may be causing your headaches.
Apart from the different chiropractic treatment techniques, here are a few tips that can help with headaches such as:
- Change your diet as poor nutrition can affect your overall health and cause headaches. Drink enough water and incorporate magnesium. According to research, migraines are common in people who have a magnesium deficiency.
- Reduce stress and get adequate sleep. Lack of adequate sleep will cause headaches as well as affect your overall health.
- Don’t consume foods high in histamine as it may cause migraines
- Use the B-vitamins because they can help reduce headaches
- Apply a cold compress on your neck and head to reduce inflammation
Schedule an Appointment
If you are looking for a non-invasive and drug-free treatment for headaches, call us for an appointment. Our chiropractor will guide you in choosing the best treatment based on the type of headache you have. With our migraine treatment in Shiloh, IL, you will be bid pain medication goodbye!